Defensive Driving – A Union Benefit
The benefit of this program is two-fold. First, by honing our driving skills, we protect ourselves and our families on the crowded roads of New Jersey. Second, motorists insured in New Jersey may obtain a 5% discount on auto insurance every three years after the course completion date.
As an added incentive to safe driving, URA-AFT will reimburse $20 to signed, full-dues union members who take advantage of this program.
ARTICLE 34 – PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Employees who are not required to attend the Rutgers Defensive Driving course by their department but who want to take the course may request to do so at a time and date that is mutually convenient to the employee and the supervisor. Such request shall not be unreasonably denied. All costs associated with taking the course for those employees who are not required to attend shall be borne by the employee.
-Excerpt from the URA-AFT Collective Bargaining Agreement
Online course updates 2020-21: The Rutgers defensive driving course is now entirely online.
If you will be required to drive a Rutgers vehicle, you must attend only once, and it must be arranged in advance by your department at no cost to you during work time. However, we encourage you to request that your department arrange for you to attend at no cost during work time for other reasons too:
- You have been driving a Rutgers vehicle for three years or will be required to drive one following a three-year period of not driving one. Even if you took this course years ago, a refresher is advisable because of additions to the curriculum and for safety and liability reasons.
- You wish to take to course for safety and liability reasons related to driving your own vehicle while conducting Rutgers business or travel associated with your Rutgers job.
- Other reasons deemed necessary by arrangement with your supervisor.
Once the course has been arranged by your department, you can register using this link: https://ipo.rutgers.edu/publicsafety/defensive-driving.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a details of any unreasonable responses from your supervisor.
If you wish to take the course by paying the $35 program fee directly, follow these steps:
- Find the class schedule at https://ipo.rutgers.edu/publicsafety/defensive-driving
- Obtain permission from your department to take the class on a particular date. Article 34 provides that your request “shall not be unreasonably denied”.
- There is no longer an additional fee charged for point reduction, insurance discount or vision screening. Contact your insurance company directly regarding how to submit a copy of your course certificate for the 5% discount.
- For partial reimbursement of $20 from URA-AFT, mail a copy of the course certificate to: Defensive Driving Program, URA-AFT, 75 Raritan Ave., Suite #255, Highland Park, NJ 08904. You can email it to email@example.com or fax it to (732) 745-0400, also. Reimbursements will be processed in the month following receipt.